on 06 January 2012]
The Durban Lesbian & Gay Community & Health Centre (a project of the KZN Coalition for Gay & Lesbian Equality) offers a safe and secure space for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex communities of Durban and KwaZulu-Natal.
The Community Centre provides, Personal, HIV and AIDS, Sexual Health and Legal Education, Counselling and Advise. We cover matters ranging from understanding your own sexual orientation, health status, coming out, mitigating/fighting stigma and discrimination, homelessness, drug and alcohol use/abuse, living positively, drafting wills, same-sex marriages and divorce.
The Community Centre may not yet be a clinic nor offer in-house testing of STI, TB, HIV, blood pressure, pregnancy and cancer but keeps and up-to-date Database and Referral List of professionals and institutions within KZN.
As a project of the KZN Coalition for Gay and Lesbian Equality, Human Rights Advocacy and Campaigning are at the heart of the Community Centre's work. Our current work include human right education on Rights and Responsibility, Gender and Sexuality, Fighting Discrimination of LGBT Youth In Schools, and 'Hate Crimes' primarily against LGBT people. At a Policy development level, our current work monitoring the implementation of and required further developments to(specifically but not limited to) the Sexual Offences Bill, Civil Unions Act, Domestic Violence Act, Child Care Act, Schools Act, and others.
The Community Centre houses an extensive Library, Research and Resource Centre on LGBT, women, youth, children, sex and sexuality, sexual health, human rights, reproductive rights, social, political, health, disability, and many other aspects of communities. It also houses a collection of LGBT, HIV/AIDS and related media clippings in its archives. These will, hopefully over time, be made available on this website.
Our Social and Political Programme has resulted to our news walls bearing highlights on current affairs, press releases, politics and health issues. We host Professional Development Seminars, Movie Screenings, Interest and Support Group Meeting. In collaboration with business, other organisations and individual volunteers, the Community Centre annually hosts Durban Pride, Miss Gay Durban, KZN LGBT Fashion and Hair Show, KZN LGBT Talent Show and soon the KZN LGBTI Activism and Leadership Awards.
OUR PROGRAMMES / PILLARS OF WORK
1) DIRECT SERVICES
2) BUILDING CONSCIOUSNESS / GROOMING LEADERS
3) COMMUNITY AND YOUTH WELL-BEING
4) DIVERSITY SENSITIZATION AND MAINSTREM TRAINING
5) HUMAN RIGHTS EDUCATION AND ADVOCACY
6) RESEARCH AND PROGRAMMING (Support Mechanism)
THE 2012 COMMUNITY CENTRE TEAM
Based In Durban
1) FT Nonhlanhla Mkhize: Director/HRE & Advocacy /Training /Materials Development /Durban Pride Chair /KZN LGBT Tourism Association Deputy Chair
2) FT Sbongiseni Mkhwanazi: Administration & Bookkeeping /Training /Counseling
3) FT Siphokazi Nombande: Community & Youth WellBeing /WSW Research /Training /Counseling /Materials Development & General Support
4) PT Sbongiseni Khumalo: Community & Youth Wellbeing /MSM Research /Training /Counseling
5) PT Bonisiwe Buthelezi: Community & Youth WellBeing /WSW Research /Training / Counseling
6) PT Andiswa Zulu: Administration and Resource Centre Coordination /Counseling / Translation
7) PT Thulani Mkhize: IT & Materials Development
8) PT Leticia Sishi (Miss Gay Durban 2011/12) /Community & Youth WellBeing
1) Marting Meyer, 2) Pravesh Hurdeen, 3) Chandrika Mehilal = Research /Sexual Health and Conselling
4) Ezra Steenkamp (Train You Can) = IT, Durban Pride Website Development Hosting and
5) Jason Fidler (3rd Millenium Materials Development
6) Quintin White (Third Eye Media & Vintage Motion Pictures) Video Documenting
7) Simphiwe Ngongoshe (Support Group Facilitation and Counseling)
8) Various Attorneys and Law Firms: Legal Counseling and Advice
Based In Richard’s Bay / Mhlathuze (KZN)
1) Nothando Mhlongo: Community Educator /Counselor and Trainer
2) Senzo Zulu: Community Educator /Counselor & Trainer
3) Slindile Mathenjwa: Community Educator and Counselor
4) Sipho Biyela: Community Educator & General Support
5) Nkosi Mthembu: Community Educator and Trainer
6) Malusi Ngcobo: Administration & Bookkeeping
7) Bhekani Xulu : Office Coordinator
Based In Ladysmith / Mnambithi (KZN)
1) Nomcebo Thungo: Programmes Coordinator & Bookkeeping
Based In Umtata (Eastern Cape)
1) Sbonelo Ncanana: Programmes Coordinator & Bookkeeping
Yoga Classes: Mark (Durban)
Self Defense Classes: TYL (eThekwini Municipality); Nomcebo (Mnambithi Municipality) and Nkosi (Mhlathuze Municipality)
Sports: TYL (eThekwini Municipality), Mazo (Mnambithi Municipality) and Nkosi (Mhlathuze Municipality)
The Atlantic Philanthropies, The AIDS Foundation of South Africa, Schorer/COC, and Individuals.
Joint Working Group, International Lesbian and Gay Association, Coalition of African Lesbians, Amnesty International South Africa, KZN LGBT Tourism Association, KZN VEF, KZN HPPB Task Team, Hate Crime Task Team, etc.
Tel: 031 301-2145
Fax: 031 301-2147
Centre Manager: Nonhlanhla Mkhize (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Projects and Services offered by the Community Centre
& Support Groups
We will be training a number of volunteers to provide individual
and group counselling on all personal issues related to being
lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered.
HIV/AIDS Education &
This extensive project deals with a range of issues and services
for the LGBT community including Awareness workshops; HIV+ counselling
groups; HIV+ lifestyle workshops; HIV drug treatment; HIV Buddies
Legal Advice Centre
The Advice Centre assists LGBTs in taking up a range of issues
from employment discrimination to immigration to human rights
issues. Cases will be dealt with at the centre or be referred
Reading and Resource
A range of books, magazines, and videos are available for use
at the Centre. We also plan to provide facilities for researchers.
This project is currently limited to establishing a database
of religious services available to the LGBT community.
Tourist Advice Project
This will start up as a database for tourists of all LGBT friendly
venues, spaces and activities in Durban. The project could grow
into a tourist office for gay and lesbian visitors.
Other Projects &
Health, Sport, Social Events
The many pamphlets, magazines and newspapers available for reading in the resource centre
Visitors relax in the centre's friendly lounge
The library provides appropriate and meaningful reading for visitors to the centre
Nonhlanhla Mkhize, the Centre Manager goes through the news clipping archive